Am I required to see a doctor?
To be awarded a workers' compensation benefit, your claim must have medical evidence of your injury. Therefore, you must see a doctor. The doctor's medical report will provide the legal basis for your injury claim.

Depending on your state, you may be able to choose the doctor that treats your injury. The types of medical professionals from which you may receive treatments include medical doctors, surgeons, dentists, optometrists, osteopaths and chiropractors. You have the right to change your doctor only once. You must alert the insurance company when you do so. Subsequent changes of your treating doctor require written approval from the insurance company. If your treating doctor refers you to a specialist, this is not considered a change of doctors.

Regardless of whether you carry health insurance, alert your doctor that you are being treated for a workplace injury. Supply your medical providers with the name and contact information for your employer and their insurance carrier. The medical expenses that you incur as a result of your injury; including doctors' fees, prescriptions, medical supplies, physical therapy and other treatments, will be paid by the insurance company. In addition, the insurer will cover any related travel expenses including gas, food, and lodging.

If you would like more information about a workplace injury, click here for a free evaluation of your situation by workers' compensation legal experts.


Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming

Disclaimer: THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT. Advertising is paid for by participating attorneys and advocates. The site is not an attorney referral service. name is privately owned and is not affiliated with or endorsed by the U.S. Department of Labor or any other federal or state government agency. The promotion of this website is sponsored exclusively by professional Workers' Compensation Attorneys and Advocacy Groups, in effort to provide services to the public for workers' compensation and injury issues.

© Copyright 2012,, All Rights Reserved.